There have been a couple of discussion threads recently on Secular Homeschool about envy and the idea that some homeschoolers really do it all. We all know it’s not true, but it’s hard not to feel that sense that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. And the thing is, I know a lot of people who think I’m one of those enviable homeschoolers, because they’ve said so. I think I do a lot of things right, but I’m sure I also do a lot of things wrong.
- I have yelled at Mushroom at least half a dozen times in the last week or so. Enough that he couldn’t sleep one night and came in to tell me he kept imagining me yelling and it was scary. Good grief. Talk about a guilt trip. I don’t even know what I’ve yelled about. Annoying things. Things where the boys tried my patience for too long. Would you just go get on your shoes finally kinds of things.
- Mushroom has lovely handwriting but he averages about a word a minute. I timed it. BalletBoy has reasonably well formed letters, but they’re embarrassingly disproportionate. His lower case “l” is often shorter than his lower case “o.”
- I can name a dozen times off the top of my head when both BalletBoy and Mushroom interrupted conversations, co-ops, and other things quite rudely.
- Mushroom slowly climbed off the bed during read aloud time the other night. It began by leaning his head off the bed and when I finished reading, he was stuck with his hands on the floor and his feet on the tall bed.
- We only managed to get school done twice properly last week. One day we just skivved off. Another day they weren’t there, having slept over at a friend’s. Another morning we were hosting co-op and I hadn’t properly prepared so I made them clean the basement instead. Another morning, I wanted to sleep in because I was up too late at night. Then we had somewhere to be.
- As I write this, there’s bits from that co-op I still haven’t tidied up, including some of the popcorn on the floor, which can’t possibly be good considering fall is coming and therefore so are our yearly mousy visitors.
- BalletBoy gave up on yet another book midway through meaning he has only finished two books in the last month.
- At one point last week, Mushroom just began making up the text halfway through the sentence he was reading. I swear I didn’t yell, but I did take the book away and probably was much too short when I told him, “No. Try that again.”
- Mushroom actually spelled the word church h-c-r-c-h the other day. No, really, he did. At least he looked at it and saw that it clearly didn’t seem right.