I committed last year to do a year of field trips for American history. Um, sort of achieved and sort of not. Here’s the post I made with the checklist last year. Here’s how we’re actually doing with it.
Field Trips Achieved:
- National Archives
- Library of Congress
- Smithsonian Museum of American History
- Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian
- Portrait Gallery and Smithsonian Museum of American Art
- Memorials walk – Washington to Jefferson, not skipping the overlooked DC World War I Veterans Memorial
- Georgetown fun: Tudor House, Dumbarton House, Old Stone House, canal boat ride
- Pierce Mill
- Original District Boundary Markers
- C&O Canal at Great Falls
- Baltimore fun: USS Constellation, Transportation Museum, Fort McHenry
- Mount Vernon
- Claude Moore Colonial Farm
- Richmond National Battlefield and Civil War Center
- James River Plantations
Longest Trip: We were in Williamsburg for three days!
Most visits: We’ve been to the Portrait Gallery seven or eight times at least. I lose count. We’ve also unexpectedly been at the colonial farm a lot. I should have bought a membership.
Most unexpectedly fun: As I mentioned previously, we went in search of the original boundary markers for the district and that was like going on a geocache hunt. Very bizarre but enjoyable to invade someone’s yard for a historic marker.
Field Trips Not Achieved (at least not yet):
- White House tour
- Capitol tour
- Bureau of Printing and Engraving
- Ford’s Theater and Peterson House
- Lincoln’s Cottage
- Frederick Douglass National Historical Site
- Mary McCloud Bethune House
- Fort Circle Parks
- St. Mary’s City
- Riverdale Mansion
- Antietum National Battlefield
- Clara Barton House at Glen Echo
- Manassas National Battlefield
- Gadsby’s Tavern
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Appomattox Courthouse Battlefield
- Cumberland Gap
- Harper’s Ferry
- Valley Forge National Historical Park
- Philadelphia fun: Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell and the National Constitution Center
We’ll Make It Soon: We’re just now up to the Civil War and I’m hoping we hit the Lincoln and Frederick Douglass sites, a couple of the Fort Circle Parks, plus a quick day trip to Harper’s Ferry and out to Manassas within the next month or so.
Additions: We’re also going to hit some Atlanta sites when we visit relatives later this summer. Cyclorama here we come!
Big Regret: I really thought we’d make it to Philadelphia. I suppose we still can, but with overnights to Williamsburg and Charlottesville, it just didn’t happen.